That is the subject of an e-mail I just received from Harvey Westfall, who served on the Whipple. It serves as a reminder that April 23rd is the 89th anniversary of the commissioning of the USS Whipple DD-217 in Philadelphia. The second of three USS Whipple's commissioned in the 20th century, it was one of the "four piper" destroyers. The ship was decommissioned at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard on November 9, 1945.
The oft-overlooked uss.whipple.org web site has photos, a history page, and links to other sites/pages about the USS Whipple. Harvey's e-mail notes the following:
- Commissioned 23 April 1920
- Decommissioned 9 Nov 1945
- Whipple received two battle stars for her World War II service
- Ed Finigan's Website: http://home.comcast.net/~uss_whipple/index.html
- NAVSOURCE: http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/217.htm
- DANFS: http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/destroy/dd217txt.htm